Marchak Paris 1930 Art Deco Geometric Ring In 18Kt Gold With 42.84 Cts Amethyst
Art Deco geometric ring designed by Marchak.
An exceptional geometric ring, created in Paris France during the art deco period by the jewelry house of Marchak, back in the 1930. This oversized bold ring has been carefully crafted with sharp edges and massive volumes in solid yellow gold of 18 karats with high polished finish.
This ring is surely a one of a kind and is adorned on the sides with four Borbonic Fleur d'Lys carved in platinum. Definitely these symbols of Fleur D'Lys are related to the nobility of the old regime of the 19th century. Quite possibly, this was a design commissioned from the house of Marchak by someone with a noble title. Also as a very curious fact, if the ring is observed from the top in plan, it resembles the silhouette of a walled castle with four towers at its corners.
Gemstones: Mounted from only two sides, with an octagonal stepped cut (24 x 19 x 13 mm) of a natural vivid purple amethyst of 42.84 carats.
Weight: 37.45 Grams, (24.01 Dwt).
Size: 8.5 sizeable.
Measurements: 35 mm by 32 mm (1.38 x 1.26 Inches) and raise 13 mm over the finger.
Hallmarks: Stamped with French marks; the eagle head and the dog head for the assay and warranty of the gold and platinum respectively, the maker's maitre mark CF inside a lozange cartouche associated to Marchak and the serial numbers 3677.
The House of Marchak, was founded by Joseph Abramovich Marchak, a young talented jeweler in 1878, in Kiev, then in the imperial Russia. Considered one of the great competitors of Faberge at the beginning of last century and sometimes called “The Cartier of Kiev”. The company employed 150 workers at the start of the Russian Revolution of 1917.
After the WWI they moved to France and as soon as he arrived in Paris, Alexander Marchak opened a jewelry shop on the Rue de la Paix, at number 4 right next to Place Vendome and the Hotel Ritz Paris, where where his fine quality and original designs gained fame to the large number of wealthy foreigners had flocked, ever since its opening in 1898. But business was once again interrupted by a World War and Marchak was forced to reinvent itself yet another time. After business began to recover from the effects of war, Alexander Diringer, who worked at Sterle, was brought aboard as the chief designer and remained so through the 1960’s.
Collateral: It is accompanied by a presentation jewelry box.
Condition: The overall condition of this ring is excellent. Beside the little normal wear, there is no damage to the gold. The amethyst is secured in the settings. This piece has been carefully inspected to guarantee the condition and authenticity.
INVENTORY REF: R112122ENNM/.9002