+Tiffany & Co 1891 Charles L Tiffany Art Nouveau Water Pitcher In 925 Sterling Silver
Water pitcher designed by Tiffany & Co.
Beautiful antique water pitcher made at the Tiffany studios in New York city, back in the 1891. This extremely rare pitcher was realized during the directory presidency of Charles L. Tiffany between the 1891 and 1902 and was carefully crafted with beautiful pre-art nouveau patterns in solid sterling silver .925/.999 with very high polished finish. Designed with curvilinear patterns and decorated with a band of japonisme repousse scrolls and organics motifs in a plain footed flat base. As with all Tiffany pieces, the quality and design are beyond compare. Exceptional and rare example of Tiffany's finest work.
Weight: 906.8 Grams, (581.38 Dwt) (31.98 Troy Ounces).
Measurements: 179 mm by 203 mm by 165 mm (7.06 x 8.0 x 6.5 Inches).
Hallmarks: Stamped with the maker's mark, the silver assay mark, the pattern numbers, the order numbers, the inventory production reference, the letter T for Charles L. Tiffany and signed as usual, "TIFFANY & CO. 7817 MAKERS 1822 STERLING SILVER 925-1000 T 29/40 498 5 PINTS".
Note: Tiffany silver holloware and flatware is generally marked Tiffany & Co and generally includes date letters indicating the period it was made. Flatware also usually includes a pattern number. The first date letter "M (old English) used by Tiffany’s represented Edward C. Moore, who was the head of tiffany's silver operations until 1891. after his death, the date letters were based on the initial of the current tiffany president; 1891-1902 Charles L. Tiffany (T), 1902-1907 Charles T. Cook (C), 1907-1947 John C. Moore (M), 1947-1955 Louis De Bian Moore (B), 1955-ca.1965 William T. Lusk (L).
Note: This pattern 7817 was designed and first produced in the 1883. This is the number 29 of the edition of 40 pieces produced.
The Tiffany dynasty was founded in 1837 at 259 Broadway in New York City by Charles Louis Tiffany and partner John B. Young. It began not as a jewelry & silver emporium, but as a purveyor of stationery and fancy goods under the name Tiffany & Young. Although America was in a deep economic recession, the store soon acquired a respected name and flourished with its quality merchandise imported from Europe, India and the Orient. In 1841, a new partner, J. L. Ellis joined the firm and the name changed to Tiffany, Young & Ellis. The first of the Tiffany "Blue Book" catalogs appeared in 1845 and with it the first indications of silver merchandise carried; a small range of personal items and all, almost certainly, imported. The firm expanded to larger quarters at 271 Broadway in 1847, the move enabled a significant increase in the retailing of silver and jewelry. It is here that American made silver finally took its place alongside the Tiffany name. The goods were made mostly by New York City silversmiths and often bore their maker's marks, as well as the Tiffany retailer's mark. The year 1851 was an important year in the history of American silver, Tiffany, Young & Ellis, seeking to give their silver goods distinction, became the first American firm to introduce the use of the English Sterling (.925) standard in American made silver.
Deciding that they wanted more control, they contracted with the firm of John C. Moore, one the finest American holloware silver smithies, to produce exclusively for Tiffany's. Both Young & Ellis retired in 1853, giving Charles Tiffany control of the firm, again he moved it to larger quarters at 550 Broadway and the name was changed to that which we know today, Tiffany & Company. Over the next two decades, Tiffany worked closely with J. C. Moore and, increasingly with his son, Edward Chandler Moore, who had fully taken the reins of Moore concern in the 1860's. Together, the artist Moore and the businessman Tiffany, created many landmark pieces of American silver and spread the fame of Tiffany & Company silverware. In 1867, at the Exposition Universelle in Paris, Tiffany's became the first American firm to win an award for excellence in silver. Charles L. Tiffany made a landmark decision in 1868, he reached an agreement with Edward C. Moore and purchased the Moore firm. At this juncture, Tiffany & Company became a silver manufacturer as well as a silver retailer. For his part, Edward Moore became a Tiffany retailer stockholder and the general manager of the silverware end of the business. His first important step was to expand production to include flatware manufacturing. In 1869 "Tiffany", the company's first flatware pattern, premiered and the firm moved to new and larger quarters on Union Square.
Moore was a cultured man, an avid world traveler and collector of art and objects of the Near & Far East. As the Aesthetic Movement style became fashionable, his innovative nature and knowledge of Eastern art combined with his superlative design skills to bring Tiffany's to the forefront of American silver manufacturers. Many of the finest Japonesque and Moorish Revival objects ever created, including major presentation pieces, were made by Tiffany & Company at this time. By the time of Edward Moore's death in 1891, Tiffany & Co. had won major awards at successive European and American Expositions and had become the most internationally respected American silver manufacturer. The founder, Charles L. Tiffany passed on in 1902, leaving a legacy based on sound business judgement and goods of exceptional quality. Tiffany & Company moved to its present quarters at 5th Avenue & 57th Street in 1940 and remained in the hands of the Tiffany & Moore families until 1955. (Encyclopedia of silver marks, with thanks).
Condition: The overall condition of this piece is excellent. Beside the little normal wear, there is no damage to the sterling silver. This pitcher has been carefully inspected to guarantee the condition and authenticity.
INVENTORY REF: D011423ARST/26.88