Weinranck And Schmidt Hanau German Empire 1889 Silver Neoclassical Jardinière Center Vase
German Neoclassic jardinière in silver by Weinranck & Schmidt-Hanau.
An impressive, oversized and highly decorated piece, made in Hanau Germany by the silversmiths and silver maker's Weinranck & Schmidt during the Imperial period, circa 1889. This large center piece was decorated, with neo-classic patterns in the manner of the Louis XVI style and was totally crafted in repousse of solid .800/.999 silver.
Weight: Has a total of 2,305 Grams, (74 Troy Ounces).
Measures: 467 mm by 258 mm by 312 mm (18.4 x 10.15 x 12.3 Inches) (25.8 x 10.15 x 12.3 Cm).
Hallmarks: Stamped with the German guaranty marks of the Halbmond und Reichskrone (crown and moon crescent), the maker's mark W.S.H (Weinranck & Schmidt-Hanau), the silver finesse assay mark, the inventory numbers and signed, "W.S.H .800 2243".
Engraved on the underneath part, TO MR & MRS SEYMOUR REINHARD IN DEEP APPRECIATION OF THEIR DEVOTED SERVICE TO YOUNG ISRAEL OF FLATBUSH JAN, 14 1961.
Note: Wilhelm Weinranck and Fritz Schmidt, Weinranck and Schmidt (Hanau, Germany, 1889-). This piece was crafted after the 1889 since the German hallmarking system was unified in 1888 adopting the national mark, "crescent and crown" indicating in thousands the fineness of the silver. This system is still in use in present days.
Note: From the middle to the end of the nineteenth century copies of old silver, and items designed in an amalgamation of historic styles, satisfied customer demand and preference. Many firms in Europe and in the United States produced this type of silver. Most Hanau firms chose as company marks styles reminiscent of seventeenth and eighteenth century maker's marks.
Hanau silver was largely imported in UK between the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century. Berthold Mueller was an import firm, who distributed a lot of Neresheimer silver - see John Culme: The Directory of Gold-and Silversmiths, Jewelers and Allied Traders 1838-1914, Vol.1 page, page 335. The firm changed its name 1915 to Berthold Miller and was listed as wholesale silversmiths and jewelers, antique reproduction in silver, ivories, miniatures, enamels, and so forth.
Another importer of Hanau silver was J.G. Piddington which was independent of Berthold Muller and an import firm in their own right, see Culme, page 423 under John George Smith &Co. The shipping and forwarding business was founded in 1849, the firm was a partnership between J. Friend and J. Piddington. The grandson of Piddington, John G. Smiths. took the surname of his grandfather in 1900. J.G. Smith & Co are noted to have imported a great deal of silver, apparently an important part of their business until 1939. Many of these items, decorative in nature, to be of German origin. A privately printed and illustrated history of this firm exists, called 'Vitesse, The Story of Continental Express', published in 1949.
Note: This piece is guarantee to be genuine and authentic to the period stated.
Provenance: The State of Israel; Seymour Reinhard; A private collection in Palm Beach, Florida.
Condition: The overall condition of this piece is excellent. Beside the little normal wear, there is no damage to the silver. All parts are secured in the settings. This piece has been carefully inspected to guarantee the condition and authenticity.
INVENTORY REF: D0000AMNM/.1111